Ants are small and plentiful, allowing them to seek out even the smallest crumb and suddenly take over your kitchen. Being a species that rapidly multiples, it’s easy to see why they spread so fast. Read on to find out the methods to stop them, along with other pests.
Common Problems Caused by Pests
When it comes to common pests, a multitude of problems are on brought by them:
- Cockroaches – serious food contamination, including salmonella, and allergic reactions, including severe asthma attacks.
- Bird Mites – their bites can cause severe irritation to humans, including itching, swelling, and raised spots.
- Termites– cause extensive building damage, including destroying roof, wall and floor timbers in a short amount of time (12 weeks or less)
- Rodents – rats and mice are linked to a host of problems, including food contamination, fires (they chew through wires & cables), and damage to a building’s structure
Weeds Are Pests Too
Aside from their general nuisance in gardens and lawns all over the world, weeds are a form of pests and so must be controlled through weed spraying. Weeds do an incredible amount of damage to your environment and even health. Many types of weeds have been linked to asthma and hay fever. In addition, some weeds pose a danger to your pets — matting fur and causing medical problems if ingested. Under state laws, some weeds like ‘noxious weeds’ must be legally removed, or else fines are issued.
A Little Bit About Ants
Ants are social creatures that travel vast distances searching for food. They are well known for their advanced social structures and colonies. Ants are indigenous to all but one continent — Antarctica — and their emphasis on teamwork has helped them survive since the mid-Cretaceous period.
Ants can be a nuisance when they get into your home. Although the majority of them don’t carry diseases, you don’t know where they’ve been foraging outside. You wouldn’t want them marching through your food cupboards. It’s a disgusting sight to see, especially in places where hygiene must always be maintained.
Common Problems Caused by Ants
Whether it’s your home or business, keep in mind that ants are the common cause of:
- Waste – Any food or products touched by ants will have to be thrown away due to contamination, costing you money and resources.
- Fear – Infestations, especially in places like hospitals and restaurants can spread pathogens and alarm people, causing them to question your hygiene standards.
- Reputation Damage – If your reputation suffers so too will your profits (in business) and your integrity. This often results in long-term loss of trust.
Pest Control for Ants
While a wide range of DIY products are available for ants, many times you need a professional pest control service to handle the issue and prevent recurrence. A professional service will issue treatment targeted at specific ant species in order to solve the problem faster, whilst making sure you and your family are safe.
Ant-Proof your Home
Ants come inside your home looking for food. They love sweet and sticky substances. You can ant-proof your home and business by:
- Always covering food
- Cleaning food and liquid spills immediately
- Cleaning food debris from under kitchen appliances
- Properly wipe down all food preparation areas
- Tightly seal garbage cans
- Keep compost piles covered and enclosed
- Put pet food away as soon as your pet/s has finished eating
- Consider sealing access points like cracks and crevices in door and window frames
Our pest control experts know what’s what when it comes to ants and other pests. We offer you the most appropriate and effective solution. Contact our the AGJ Pest Management team today and let’s eliminate these pests for good.